Friday, 28 January 2011 12:00 AM
Holidays in the Caribbean are often thought as only for the rich and famous but the island of Dominica really can be enjoyed on a budget without compromising on any of the experience.
Dominica is known as the Nature Island because of its mountainous landscapes and lush, green rainforest scenery and offers a unique Caribbean holiday experience.
Here are some top tips for enjoying a Caribbean holiday in Dominica without having to spend a fortune:
1. The best way – and the cheapest! – to fully experience the varied terrain and natural beauty of Dominica is on foot. Although a pass may be needed for some sites, such as National Parks, it only costs $12 (Â£7.70 approximately) per week!
2. Natural wellbeing: Relieve aching muscles with a dip in one of Dominica’s many hot springs, where the water temperature is comparable to a hot bath. Visitors can also take advantage of the island’s volcanic, mineral-rich mud in abundant natural supplies. An hour’s dip in a mud bath and a sulphur pool start from $10 (Â£6.40 approximately).
3. With some of the healthiest reefs on the Caribbean, Dominica is considered one of the world’s top destinations for scuba diving. Most dives cost about Â£50 – but if you opt for snorkelling instead you will still get a taste of Dominica’s underwater world yet much cheaper, around Â£16.
4. If you want to try something more adventurous, mountain biking is available on the island. This is a very cost effective way of seeing the island as prices for half-day rental start from only Â£16.
5. You want to see Dominica in full swing? Then the Carnival season is probably the best time to go. Dominicans love any reason to party and Carnival, taking place usually in February or March, is the biggest excuse of all, with street parades and free entertainment.
Here are some options for affordable accommodation in Dominica:
Calibishie Lodges – Winner of the Accommodation of the Year 2010. A charming retreat in typical Caribbean style. From Â£45 per room
Portsmouth Beach Hotel – Located on a golden sand beach on the north-west coast of Dominica, set in a tropical garden. From Â£42 per room
The Anchorage Hotel – Perched on the edge of the tranquil Caribbean Sea, only one mile south of the Capital city, Roseau. From Â£57 per double room
Follow us @travelbite